Is there a place where the NFL.com top 100 players of alltme

Post by JohnTurney »

are listed?

Or just the USA today?
TanksAndSpartans

Re: Is there a place where the NFL.com top 100 players of al

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I don't think the USA Today list is associated with the NFL. It just says:

In conjunction with the NFL’s 100th season celebration, 19 current and former reporters across the USA TODAY Sports Network were asked to compile a list ranking the 100 greatest players in pro football history.

When the NFL did a top 100, the makeup of the panel wasn't just reporters.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:I don't think the USA Today list is associated with the NFL. It just says:

In conjunction with the NFL’s 100th season celebration, 19 current and former reporters across the USA TODAY Sports Network were asked to compile a list ranking the 100 greatest players in pro football history.

When the NFL did a top 100, the makeup of the panel wasn't just reporters.
Given their choice of top 100 games, it was probably comprised of a collection of sports talk morons who are good for a sound bite or two.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

BD Sullivan wrote:
Given their choice of top 100 games, it was probably comprised of a collection of sports talk morons who are good for a sound bite or two.

Shots fired! :D
paulksandiego

Post by paulksandiego »

I don't think the NFL is going to do a top 100 list. They were affiliated with the Top 100 that the NFL Network & NFL Films came out with several years ago.

Has anyone heard about a possible 100th Anniversary all time team?
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

paulksandiego wrote:I don't think the NFL is going to do a top 100 list. They were affiliated with the Top 100 that the NFL Network & NFL Films came out with several years ago.

Has anyone heard about a possible 100th Anniversary all time team?

I thought there was both, but I have been not paying attention to this subject for a month or so. Just kind of getting back into it
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

So I'm guessing O.J's not on her list either :roll: :roll: :roll: :

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 3054672002
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

BD Sullivan wrote:So I'm guessing O.J's not on her list either :roll: :roll: :roll: :

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 3054672002
O.J. is Number 40.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

On the NFL's intagram site (nfl throwback I believe) they are doing a countdown of 100 Greatest Game Changers

I believe Gil Brandt just edged out Cheerleaders. It was really close :roll:

these lists are pure trash. And sure enough Bryan Cranston and some other actors/musicians pop up. Because we still need to show how entrenched the NFL is in pop culture. Oh what crossover appeal we have

The league has nothing to prove anymore. Stop forcefeeding us these celebs we don't care about
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

sheajets wrote:On the NFL's intagram site (nfl throwback I believe) they are doing a countdown of 100 Greatest Game Changers

I believe Gil Brandt just edged out Cheerleaders. It was really close :roll:

these lists are pure trash. And sure enough Bryan Cranston and some other actors/musicians pop up. Because we still need to show how entrenched the NFL is in pop culture. Oh what crossover appeal we have

The league has nothing to prove anymore. Stop forcefeeding us these celebs we don't care about
If Bryan Cranston did it with his shaved head and goatee and brown hat and using his "I am the one who knocks" tone of voice, that might be worth tuning in for.

The NFL really needs to take cues from Ken Burns' "Baseball" documentary, that it is fine to use celebrities for narration here and there, but for interviews, go to historians and writers and people like Bob Costas or Al Michaels who were on the scene when big events happened, and occasionally, retired players. I'd rather hear John Madden talking about Ken Stabler or Fred Belitnikoff as opposed to some actor or sports talk radio host who probably never met those guys and if they did, never spent more than five minutes with them.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen