Top wide receivers in history

JohnH19

Re: Top wide receivers in history

Post by JohnH19 »

Eagles One wrote:Torry Holt who is yet to be inducted into the HOF. A 7x Pro Bowler, 1x All Pro, 2x league leader in reception yardage and 2000s All Decade Team. Is it far-fetched to think he is worthy of top 10 status?

Yes
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

JohnH19 wrote:
Eagles One wrote:Torry Holt who is yet to be inducted into the HOF. A 7x Pro Bowler, 1x All Pro, 2x league leader in reception yardage and 2000s All Decade Team. Is it far-fetched to think he is worthy of top 10 status?

Yes
Do you think Holt is a HOFer?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I thought Ellard was better than Bruce or Holt. Imagine if Marino or Moon had him ? Other than "Chris" Everett, when he set his feet properly, he had pedestrian passers ...
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Hutson, Berry, Warfield, Alworth, Largent, Rice, Moss, Owens, Fitzgerald, Antonio Brown. That's 10 right there.
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

conace21 wrote:
Hutson, Berry, Warfield, Alworth, Largent, Rice, Moss, Owens, Fitzgerald, Antonio Brown. That's 10 right there.

Right. It was a stupid question, I should have never asked.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

sluggermatt15 wrote:
JohnH19 wrote:

Yes
Do you think Holt is a HOFer?
No
racepug

Post by racepug »

Brian wolf wrote:I thought Ellard was better than Bruce or Holt. Imagine if Marino or Moon had him ? Other than "Chris" Everett, when he set his feet properly, he had pedestrian passers ...
A player from Henry Ellard's era (I forget whom but he may have been a teammate of his) basically said that Henry Ellard was simply one of the best, ever, at getting open. Which suggests, to me, that maybe Henry Ellard is a little bit "forgotten."
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Many people have stated who they thought their top wide receivers of all-time were and it seems names like Rice, Moss and Hutson come up the most ...

Just out of curiosity, who are the most underrated receivers in NFL history ? Players that at least deserve to make the HOVG if not HOF but havent yet ?

My Top 5 Underrated (Non HOVG)

1) Carroll Dale
2) Henry Ellard
3) Hugh Taylor
4) Stanley Morgan/Wesley Walker
5) Irving Fryar

Top 5 Underrated (Non HOF)

1) Jim Benton
2) Billy Howton
3) Cliff Branch
4) Henry Ellard
5) Del Shofner/Harold Jackson
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Ken Kavanaugh needs to be in this discussion. The man with the highest career yards per catch ever recorded, 22.4 ypc!!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I wanted to put Kavanaugh in my Top 5 for the HOF but his catches were so damn few but 50 TDs on only 162 catches is incredible ! Not to mention, he scored in three straight championship games for the Bears ...

Other underrated receivers are Retzlaff, Nickel, Chandler for NO/SD, Powell in the AFL and of course modern receivers like Sterling Sharpe, who just made HOVG and McCardell who was thin but tough over the middle. I still believe Otis Taylor is underrated for what he did in postseasons for the Chiefs and believe George Sauer Jr, should one day make the HOVG despite retiring after only six seasons ...