Vontaze Burfict suspended for the rest of the season

conace21

Re: Vontaze Burfict suspended for the rest of the season

Post by conace21 »

JuggernautJ wrote: The conclusion I come to is that the money today's players make has allowed them to train year-round (unlike previous generations in which football wasn't the full-time occupation it now is) producing stronger, faster players able to do more harm on those they contact.
This.

I can see Night Train Lane playing today, with modern science, nutrition, and year-round training. But if he tried to give someone a Night Train necktie, he would almost certainly break another player's neck.

This isn't just about the lasting effects of hits years after a player retires. If players today were allowed to play like they did in the 50's, 60's or 70's, somebody would get killed right on the field.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

conace21 wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote: The conclusion I come to is that the money today's players make has allowed them to train year-round (unlike previous generations in which football wasn't the full-time occupation it now is) producing stronger, faster players able to do more harm on those they contact.
This.

I can see Night Train Lane playing today, with modern science, nutrition, and year-round training. But if he tried to give someone a Night Train necktie, he would almost certainly break another player's neck.

This isn't just about the lasting effects of hits years after a player retires. If players today were allowed to play like they did in the 50's, 60's or 70's, somebody would get killed right on the field.
"Big" lineman from those earlier areas were often in the 240-250 lb. ranger--sometimes less.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

conace21 wrote:
This.

Why do you think that, since nobody got killed in that era when players wore much less protection?
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

rhickok1109 wrote:
conace21 wrote:
This.

Why do you think that, since nobody got killed in that era when players wore much less protection?
Well, Howard Glenn and Stone Johnson did die after suffering broken necks in AFL games in 1960 and '63, respectively.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

rhickok1109 wrote:
conace21 wrote:
This.

Force = mass × velocity. More mass. Greater velocity.
Vontaze Burfict is almost 250 lbs. That's the size if a lineman from the 1940's or even 50's... but it Burfict is a lot quicker than a lineman from that era.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

BD Sullivan wrote:
conace21 wrote:"Big" lineman from those earlier areas were often in the 240-250 lb. ranger--sometimes less.
Yup. Betraying my age, I remember when 300 pound AFL OT Sherman Plunkett was considered freakishly heavy. No one else was that big back then.

Article about Plunkett here:

https://www.si.com/vault/1968/08/05/609 ... -the-bulge