Al Michaels/Cris Collinsworth’s Saints ‘Rushmore’

conace21

Re: Mountain or Molehill??

Post by conace21 »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
bachslunch wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote:(And I'm not picking on the Saints. I think I'd feel the same way about many of the "newer" franchises. Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, etc have all had some fine players and seasons... but I don't consider their accomplishments to be "historic" enough to yet merit a Mount Rushmore... When I think of someone carved on a hillside it's Jim Brown or Don Shula.)
You could also have partial Mt. Rushmores such as:

Jacksonville: Tony Boselli.
Atlanta: Claude Humphrey, Morten Andersen.
Tampa Bay: Derrick Brooks, Lee Roy Selmon, Warren Sapp.
Baltimore Ravens: Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Jonathan Ogden.
Cincinnati: Anthony Munoz, Ken Anderson.
Houston Texans: J.J. Watt.
Carolina: Nobody.

New Orleans, New York Jets, and Seattle just reach a reasonable four IMHO.

Leave the other parts of the mountain untouched for now.
I think Andre Johnson belongs on the Texans Mt. Rushmore, and Jimmy Smith and Fred Taylor belong on the Jaguars Mt. Rushmore. What about Mike Kenn and William Andrews on the Falcons Mt. Rushmore? Boomer Esiason or Carson Palmer or Chad Johnson or Lemar Parrish or Ken Riley on the Bengals Mt. Rushmore? Is Mt. Rushmore for HOFers only, or for HOVG for teams who don't have enough HOFers to fill out a Mt. Rushmore? I think it's the four best players in franchise history, not coaches.
I think coaches are acceptable in certain cases: Shula, Halas, Landry, Belichick. A Sean Payton, Andy Reid, Mike McCarthy, Marty Schottenheimer, or even a HOF coach like Marv Levy would fall short, IMO. On the flip side, there is a very good argument that Green Bay could have 2 coaches on their Mt. Rushmore: Lombardi and Lambeau. But how do you leave just 2 spots to choose between Hutson, Starr, Taylor, Nitschke, Davis, Favre, and Rodgers?
ChrisBabcock

Re: Al Michaels/Cris Collinsworth’s Saints ‘Rushmore’

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I actually own a shirt that simply says.... Bruce & Thurman & Andre & Jim. ;) I think I may have worn it one of the days of the PFRA convention last summer.
slats7

Post by slats7 »

Assuming we're not including coaches, Dallas is looking at Staubach, Lilly and Emmitt. Competition for the fourth slot is pretty fierce. Perhaps Larry Allen?
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

slats7 wrote:Assuming we're not including coaches, Dallas is looking at Staubach, Lilly and Emmitt. Competition for the fourth slot is pretty fierce. Perhaps Larry Allen?
I think the fourth has to be Aikman, possibly Randy White.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
slats7 wrote:Assuming we're not including coaches, Dallas is looking at Staubach, Lilly and Emmitt. Competition for the fourth slot is pretty fierce. Perhaps Larry Allen?
I think the fourth has to be Aikman, possibly Randy White.
Tony Dorsett?
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Looking forward to next week's game (and seeing that they've already done the Brownies) who do we think they'll choose for (or who belongs on) the 49ers "Mt. Rushmore?"

Montana, Rice, Lott and Walsh would leave no room for any of the great players from the early days of the franchise...
Nomellini, St. Clair, Joe Perry, Jimmy Johnson, Y. A. Tittle.... this could be a tough one....
slats7

Post by slats7 »

Gotta consider Bob Hayes as well.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

ChrisBabcock wrote:I actually own a shirt that simply says.... Bruce & Thurman & Andre & Jim. ;) I think I may have worn it one of the days of the PFRA convention last summer.
Jack Kemp, OJ Simpson?
Coaches Lou Saban and Marv Levy?
They all belong in the conversation ..
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
conace21

Post by conace21 »

JeffreyMiller wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:I actually own a shirt that simply says.... Bruce & Thurman & Andre & Jim. ;) I think I may have worn it one of the days of the PFRA convention last summer.
Jack Kemp, OJ Simpson?
Coaches Lou Saban and Marv Levy?
They all belong in the conversation ..

I'd take the Top 4 from my list of 100 Greatest Bills.
OJ, Bruce, Jim, and Thurman. Andre was a very good receiver for a long time, but never really "great" like the other three.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

JuggernautJ wrote:Looking forward to next week's game (and seeing that they've already done the Brownies) who do we think they'll choose for (or who belongs on) the 49ers "Mt. Rushmore?"

Montana, Rice, Lott and Walsh would leave no room for any of the great players from the early days of the franchise...
Nomellini, St. Clair, Joe Perry, Jimmy Johnson, Y. A. Tittle.... this could be a tough one....
I've mentioned before that when the local media did a "greatest 49ers" team after their first Super Bowl, it was predominantly current players who made the list, with Dr. Z lamenting the absence of any of the old school guys.