First African-American to play centers?

JohnTurney

First African-American to play centers?

Post by JohnTurney »

1. to play?
2. to start?
3. to be a "starter'?

Colts think it's Donaldson for start and to be starter.

Winston Hill played in 1965, but he didn't start the game. He played majority of game went
starter went down

Wally Highsmith started 1 game for Broncos (game 4) in 1968 but no others

Don't know if he's the first or not

anyone?

Note: Game 1 1968, starting African-American QB and center (Highsmith and Briscoe) is that a "battery"?
Jay Z

Re: First African-American to play centers?

Post by Jay Z »

Sylvester Croom started one game for the 1975 Saints. Predated Donaldson but not Highsmith.

Orlando Ferrante started one game for the 1961 Chargers. I don't think he was African American, but I don't have a good picture.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Jay Z wrote:Sylvester Croom started one game for the 1975 Saints. Predated Donaldson but not Highsmith.

Orlando Ferrante started one game for the 1961 Chargers. I don't think he was African American, but I don't have a good picture.
Ferrante must've been another emergency starter. Pretty sure he was a guard. He was Latino, not African American

Played with Frank Gifford at USC I believe. Went on to a distinguished career at Disney

https://d23.com/walt-disney-legend/orlando-ferrante/
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

JohnTurney wrote:1. to play?
2. to start?
3. to be a "starter'?
It's interesting that both Ray Donaldson and Dwight Stephenson were 2nd rounders in the 1980 NFL Draft, but Donaldson became a full season starter in 1981 while Stephenson in 1982 (although he started 5 games in 1981 for the injured Mark Dennard).
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Jay Z wrote:Sylvester Croom started one game for the 1975 Saints. Predated Donaldson but not Highsmith.

thanks