2019 NFL Season Discussion Thread

JWL

Re: 2019 NFL Season Discussion Thread

Post by JWL »

sheajets wrote:Sam Darnold has mono and is out Monday night (and probably longer) God once again doing what he usually does to the Jets.

And L. Bell with an MRI on his shoulder. Season about to spiral out of control
What is most likely to happen?
A. Jets start 0-6, scheduled softens and Darnold comes back, team finishes 7-9, and Adam Gase is seen as having righted the ship

B. Jets never recover from these early season body blows and finish 5-11, Gase gets very prickly with the media, and gets canned after one season

C. Some other scenario
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

JWL wrote:
sheajets wrote:Sam Darnold has mono and is out Monday night (and probably longer) God once again doing what he usually does to the Jets.

And L. Bell with an MRI on his shoulder. Season about to spiral out of control
What is most likely to happen?
A. Jets start 0-6, scheduled softens and Darnold comes back, team finishes 7-9, and Adam Gase is seen as having righted the ship

B. Jets never recover from these early season body blows and finish 5-11, Gase gets very prickly with the media, and gets canned after one season

C. Some other scenario
If they never recover (especially with this horrific early sched) they may be demoralized at 0-7 and end up 3-13 or 4-12 again

I do actually think A is kind of likely. The Jets will get stomped on, laughed at, and then for gotten...but then there schedule will ease up and they will be able to build towards 2020

I like Joe Douglas a lot, but he has some work to do in terms of ridding this franchise of Maccagnan and the awful personnel decisions he made.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Brees to miss 6 weeks, Roethlisberger out for the year. Foles out for the year. Darnold out significant time. Add in Lucks retirement. 4 qb's already missing significant time and one more gone for good
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

sheajets wrote:Brees to miss 6 weeks, Roethlisberger out for the year. Foles out for the year. Darnold out significant time. Add in Lucks retirement. 4 qb's already missing significant time and one more gone for good
This is the 50th anniversary of the Steelers last "catastrophe" season, which is a season in which a team wins less than 20 percent of their games. (The Broncos haven't had one since 1964 and the Ravens have never had one, so far.) We could be looking at another catastrophe season for the Steelers, where the team goes into a free fall without Roethlisberger and they wind up 3-13. The main thing working against this happening is that they have to play the Bengals twice, and I think Pittsburgh has too much talent on their roster for this to happen, but I've seen it happen before, like in Indianapolis in 2011 when they lost the emotional center of their team and the team didn't know how to function without their leader. I'm not saying it will happen, but I think there's probably a 25 percent chance of it happening in 2019. The Steelers are long overdue for a catastrophe season. If it happens, they'll clean house, starting with Mike Tomlin, if he doesn't quit first.

With Foles out for the year and the Colts without a star QB, the AFC South will come down to Houston and Tennessee, and it will be Houston who wins the division while Tennessee will make a strong run at a Wild Card and could sneak in. Houston has looked impressive in both games; the game against New Orleans has been the game of the year to this point.

If Cleveland loses to the Jets this evening, the AFC North race could be over with Baltimore at 2-0 and the three other teams at 0-2.

Even with Brees out six weeks, the Saints are still going to win the division provided Bridgewater doesn't go down also.

I believe the Dolphins -92 point differential (10-102 points scored-allowed ratio) is the worst for any team in the first two weeks ever; the previous worst I think was the 1989 Steelers, who went -82 (10-92) in Weeks 1-2.

The Patriots +73 in points scored/allowed differential (76-3) may be the highest of any team ever over the first two weeks of the season.

The most interesting division race this year might be the NFC West, especially if San Francisco plays the way they did against Cincinnati yesterday and Kyler Murray starts to turn the Cardinals around. I don't think the Cards have a shot at the division this year, but they could win as many as 5-6 games and pull a few division upsets, and a three-team division race among the others would mean they could be bunched at 10-6 or so.

After two weeks, the race for the first pick in the 2020 draft looks like Miami followed by Cincinnati. If there is a dark horse team in the race, it's Pittsburgh.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
sheajets wrote:Brees to miss 6 weeks, Roethlisberger out for the year. Foles out for the year. Darnold out significant time. Add in Lucks retirement. 4 qb's already missing significant time and one more gone for good
This is the 50th anniversary of the Steelers last "catastrophe" season, which is a season in which a team wins less than 20 percent of their games. (The Broncos haven't had one since 1964 and the Ravens have never had one, so far.) We could be looking at another catastrophe season for the Steelers, where the team goes into a free fall without Roethlisberger and they wind up 3-13. The main thing working against this happening is that they have to play the Bengals twice, and I think Pittsburgh has too much talent on their roster for this to happen, but I've seen it happen before, like in Indianapolis in 2011 when they lost the emotional center of their team and the team didn't know how to function without their leader. I'm not saying it will happen, but I think there's probably a 25 percent chance of it happening in 2019. The Steelers are long overdue for a catastrophe season. If it happens, they'll clean house, starting with Mike Tomlin, if he doesn't quit first.

With Foles out for the year and the Colts without a star QB, the AFC South will come down to Houston and Tennessee, and it will be Houston who wins the division while Tennessee will make a strong run at a Wild Card and could sneak in. Houston has looked impressive in both games; the game against New Orleans has been the game of the year to this point.

If Cleveland loses to the Jets this evening, the AFC North race could be over with Baltimore at 2-0 and the three other teams at 0-2.

Even with Brees out six weeks, the Saints are still going to win the division provided Bridgewater doesn't go down also.

I believe the Dolphins -92 point differential (10-102 points scored-allowed ratio) is the worst for any team in the first two weeks ever; the previous worst I think was the 1989 Steelers, who went -82 (10-92) in Weeks 1-2.

The Patriots +73 in points scored/allowed differential (76-3) may be the highest of any team ever over the first two weeks of the season.

The most interesting division race this year might be the NFC West, especially if San Francisco plays the way they did against Cincinnati yesterday and Kyler Murray starts to turn the Cardinals around. I don't think the Cards have a shot at the division this year, but they could win as many as 5-6 games and pull a few division upsets, and a three-team division race among the others would mean they could be bunched at 10-6 or so.

After two weeks, the race for the first pick in the 2020 draft looks like Miami followed by Cincinnati. If there is a dark horse team in the race, it's Pittsburgh.
Have to say I've been impressed with Arizona. Kingsbury is covering for that deficient line well and is maximizing Murray's strengths as a passer extremely well. They are looking a lot better than I thought. He's still a work in progress but it definitely looks like he belongs in this league. They're well on their way to building something dynamic there.

Bills D is legit, and while Allen has his warts (4 turnovers week 1) he looks a heck of a lot more competent than I thought he would at this point
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I think 6-10 or 7-9 looks more about right for the Steelers. I don't think they are done just yet. So, I'll argue against a 3-13 or fight for the top pick in 2020.

This team has the Bengals twice (as Rupert pointed out), the Browns twice, who, we really don't know what they are right now. They could be great or turn into a typical mess. Pittsburgh also plays the dud Dolphins, hapless Jets, Cardinals (Murray is still a rookie, guys), the Chargers (who don't look good & have suffered a lot of injuries), and the Colts, who aren't invincible. Take the Bengals twice, a split with the Browns, Miami, Arizona, Buffalo, and at least one of Chargers, Jets, Colts, and that is 7+ wins right there.

I don't think Mason Rudolph will be as pedestrian as many back up QBs and rookie QBs are. He'll continue to gain confidence in practice and support of his teammates. That will allow him to take over. Pittsburgh still has to find a running game and vastly improve on defense though.

I'll call it now, 6-10 at the worst.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I believe the Dolphins -92 point differential (10-102 points scored-allowed ratio) is the worst for any team in the first two weeks ever
The 1973 Saints also started 10-102. The 1961 Raiders started 0-99. :shock: (both in their first 2 weeks)
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Rupert Patrick wrote: The Patriots +73 in points scored/allowed differential (76-3) may be the highest of any team ever over the first two weeks of the season.
How about '75 Redskins starting out '90-16'?
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
I believe the Dolphins -92 point differential (10-102 points scored-allowed ratio) is the worst for any team in the first two weeks ever
The 1973 Saints also started 10-102. The 1961 Raiders started 0-99. :shock: (both in their first 2 weeks)
The Raiders debacle resulted in a coaching change, with Eddie Erdelatz being replaced by Marty Feldman--who presumably had normal eyes. :D
JWL

Post by JWL »

Blown Whistle Awarded Game Ball in Saints-Rams Game

I "like" how the CBA makes it so that backup quarterbacks have little to no reps in practice so that when they get into a game they are often useless and games can become unwatchable. Unless you are a Browns or Jets fan or a diehard NFL fans or a person who writes about the sport, I do not know how you could have stomached watching the entire Browns-Jets MNF game.