2019 NFL Season Discussion Thread

JohnH19

Re: 2019 NFL Season Discussion Thread

Post by JohnH19 »

Reaser wrote: Most interesting thing was seeing Falk under center -- watched his entire career at WSU and was thinking when he came in and first play under center that it looked weird and then of course he bobbled it and looked like he almost fumbled the first snap. Also looked like he bobbled another one after that. Moved the ball well, though. Didn't get any help from O-line and majority of receivers came up small for him, too.
Matt, I also thought Falk looked quite good. He was cool in the pocket and threw the ball well. Unfortunately, as you said, his receivers dropped a few catchable balls. It'll be interesting to see how he follows it up.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Have to say if Falk leads the Jets to a win at Foxboro it will be remembered as one of the most improbable regular season victories of all time. And elevate Falk to folk hero status. Not happening...but hey the Jets need to come into this one fast and loose and just hope they can reboot the season at 0-3 if Darnold is ready after the bye.

Penalties last night were out of control.

Just in general I hate cheap calls, away from the play (that have nothing to do with the plays flow and outcome) and are borderline being called. Especially on kicks/punts.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

How on earth is this a fine? It's not late, it's not contact with the head, it's not leading with the head, it's not throwing the qb to the ground, it's not landing full force on the qb. Where is the penalty?

I dislike all the reviews but I was actually thinking for texbook hits ruled RTP maybe we should be able to review this...it would've been overturned.

The league needed to apologize to the Jets for this bogus flag. Instead they fine him for absolutely nothing

The officials apologized. Ok I get it. They're human. But the league fines? What's going on here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-epPhGl-td0
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

The Titans/Jaguars game was unwatchable because of the penalties called.
Aside from the fact that many were bad calls the sheer number of them disrupted the game and made it impossible to follow/enjoy.

I have watched football for 50 years and played it for over 20 and I have NO IDEA what the NFL is doing with its officiating.
If NFL football is too complicated to be played without 20+ penalties a game then the rules need to be revamped and simplified.

This is just insane.... and stupid.
And how a great game dies.

[/rant]
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

JuggernautJ wrote:The Titans/Jaguars game was unwatchable because of the penalties called.
Aside from the fact that many were bad calls the sheer number of them disrupted the game and made it impossible to follow/enjoy.

I have watched football for 50 years and played it for over 20 and I have NO IDEA what the NFL is doing with its officiating.
If NFL football is too complicated to be played without 20+ penalties a game then the rules need to be revamped and simplified.

[/rant]
Anything to keep drives alive, anything to keep points flying up on those boards, to keep those fantasy numbers soaring. Can't wait until 70-67 games and 6,000 yard passers. And let's make it 2 hand touch so we don't get sued down the road
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

sheajets wrote: Anything to keep drives alive, anything to keep points flying up on those boards, to keep those fantasy numbers soaring. Can't wait until 70-67 games and 6,000 yard passers. And let's make it 2 hand touch so we don't get sued down the road
But that (scoring) wasn't the end result.
With over a dozen (iirc) holding penalties on the offenses the game bogged down into "who can have one un-penalized series."
The final score was 20-7.... definitely not something any fantasy football aficionado (certainly not this one) would enjoy.

Time after time it was one variation of another of "Oh, what a nice play.... aaaaaand it's called back...."
JWL

Post by JWL »

sheajets wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote:The Titans/Jaguars game was unwatchable because of the penalties called.

[/rant]
Anything to keep drives alive, anything to keep points flying up on those boards, to keep those fantasy numbers soaring. Can't wait until 70-67 games and 6,000 yard passers. And let's make it 2 hand touch so we don't get sued down the road
That is not really it. You can tell with the return game. It seems like nine times out of ten where there is a return the team returning the ball gets flagged for something. This only pushes the team further away from scoring.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

JWL wrote: That is not really it. You can tell with the return game. It seems like nine times out of ten where there is a return the team returning the ball gets flagged for something. This only pushes the team further away from scoring.
I can't for the life of me figure out why any coach would instruct his team to return a kick off.
The touchback line is now the 25.... (1/4 of the field instead of 1/5th).
Why would one take what, a 1% chance to score (on the KR) and a much more likely chance (>50%?) of being backed up inside the 20 on a penalty?

Again, if the game is too difficult to play by the rules then the rules are wrong.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Dallas, Green Bay, and San Francisco each at a 3-0 start! When was the last time that happened? Don’t say ‘90s! Yes, in ’95 Dal & SF each started 3-0, but remember the Pack lost the opener - at home - to Chris Miller & Todd Kinchen’s Rams! Looking all around the early/mid-’90s, I don’t find any such thing. Not ’72 either.

Could this actually be the very first time??