2019 NFL Season Discussion Thread

Rupert Patrick

Re: 2019 NFL Season Discussion Thread

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Looks like Vegas just made a lot of money on all those people who bet on the Browns to win the Super Bowl this season.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Good Lord this looks to be the best Patriots team since about 2007. I think they have a very good chance of breaking the Bills record of getting to four Super Bowls in a row.

Feel a little sorry for the Chiefs. They are better now then a lot of teams that have gotten to the Super Bowl but because of this crazy dynasty we are witnessing they may not get to the Super Bowl at all. Think the Chiefs have this year and potentially next at this level of play but after that I think it will be difficult for them to stay as good as they are now.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

lastcat3 wrote:Good Lord this looks to be the best Patriots team since about 2007. I think they have a very good chance of breaking the Bills record of getting to four Super Bowls in a row.

Feel a little sorry for the Chiefs. They are better now then a lot of teams that have gotten to the Super Bowl but because of this crazy dynasty we are witnessing they may not get to the Super Bowl at all. Think the Chiefs have this year and potentially next at this level of play but after that I think it will be difficult for them to stay as good as they are now.
I was thinking the same thing about the Patriots. Do they really need Antonio Brown, or did they sign him to keep somebody another powerful team like the Chiefs or Rams from signing him? The only thing that might stop them is if Brady goes down or Father Time suddenly catches up with him like it did with Brett Favre in 2010. I suppose Brown's antics could tear this team apart if he keeps acting up, but Belichick would get rid of him before he did much damage.

The last time the Steelers lost by 30 points was in 2016 when Philadelphia beat them 34-3, before that it was 1997 when they lost to Dallas 37-7 on Opening Day. Before that, you have to go back to the first two weeks of the 1989 season.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Eagles-Redskins
I watched the majority of this game. Eagles looked flat in the 1st half, but then Wentz came on strong in the 2nd half. One thing I like about Wentz is that he's usually throwing past the 1st down marker. He had some deep throws to Jackson, but even his shorter throws to Jeffery and Ertz always gave his team a 1st down. Case Keenum somehow wound up with 380 yards and 3 TDs for the Redskins.

Bills-Jets
Didn't watch. Leveon Bell still pretty good, Josh Allen still somehow winning games.

Vikings-Falcons
Considering quality of opponent, Vikings were most impressive. New OC limits Kirk Cousins passes, which puts less stress on shaky OL. Vikings defense with a big 'bounce back' game after underwhelming for the entire 2018 season. I think if Dalvin Cook stays healthy, he could decide the NFC North race.

Ravens-Dolphins
Caught a few plays of this. Lamar Jackson pitched a perfect game. The Dolphins suck and might be the worst team in the NFL, but Jackson playing so well was very surprising. AFC North looks terrible, and Jackson could 'coast' this year to a division title, like Trubisky did last year.

KC-Jags
Watched a lot of this game. Fights, ejections, Jaguars have some of the dumbest players in the NFL (Jack, Harrison, etc.). Spent 5 minutes watch Myles Jack fight his way back onto the field after being sent off. Underrated story is that Mahomes got his knee twisted and looked gimpy the rest of the game. Didn't really matter because Jags defense left someone wide open on every play. If I was surprised about Lamar Jackson, I was REALLY surprised that Gardner Minshew went 22-25. I thought his NFL career would amount to David Fales arc.

Titans-Browns
I never bought the hype. Titans didn't even play particularly well, and still won by 30. Let me know when Browns have a winning season.

Rams-Panthers
Kept flipping to this game. A heavyweight fight as both teams brought their A game. Rams offense not explosive but still scored 30 points. Panthers are tough, but if Cam Newton isn't rushing for 50-100 yards then he isn't adding much value.

Bengals-Seahawks
Very weird game. Dalton throws for 418 yards yet the team only scores 20 points. Very inefficient. Seahawks look to be the same...ok on offense, ok on defense, hope to win with fortunate luck and Russell Wilson making 1-2 big plays. Bengal WR Jon Ross was incredible, basically getting more yards this game than in his entire career. It would be like Kevin White breaking out for a 7-158-2 statline...he's still in the league, right?

Chargers-Colts
Only saw the end. Seemed like the Chargers had the game well in hand but then Anthony Lynn went into a defensive shell and nearly choked it away. Rivers is really amazing to me...no Melvin Gordon, yet he can still carry the team.

Niners-Bucs
Didn't watch. Battle of overrated QBs. Winston should not be starting for an NFL team. Jimmy G might follow him after this year.

Cowboys-Giants
Was confused when Jason Witten scored a TD. HUH? With him and Cooper and Cobb, Prescott has enough to do some damage. I thought the Cowboys defense would be more dominant. If the Dallas offense stays healthy, they could be tough to beat.

Lions-Cards
Saw the end of this game when it was the last game going. Lions really pissed away a win. I felt really good for Larry Fitzgerald, who had a big game and has been stuck in Arizona for decades. This could be the high point of Kyler Murray's NFL career...he looked like a poor man's Johnny Manziel.

Steelers-Pats
Didn't watch. I saw people picking the Steelers to win the AFC and thought WTF. They are coming off years where they lost great RBs and WRs with nothing in return. The cupboard is bare. 3 points on offense should be expected.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Bryan wrote:

Titans-Browns
I never bought the hype. Titans didn't even play particularly well, and still won by 30. Let me know when Browns have a winning season.
I picked the Browns to make the playoffs over the Titans the other day because I thought the Week 1 matchup would be a tiebreaker and that the Browns would win it. I have not bought the Browns hype, either. The thing is their hype is 11-5 and division championship. An 8-8 or 9-7 Wild Card record and 6th seed is what I was thinking. If I had attached predicted records the other day, I would have had the Jets, Bills, Steelers, Browns, Ravens, Jaguars, and Titans all at 8-8 or 9-7. I was getting a strong 1989 feeling about the AFC this year aside from the Chiefs and Patriots who I have each pegged at 13-3 or better. The only other AFC team I thought would win 10 or more games is the Chargers. 11-5 for them might only get them the 5 seed.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Rupert Patrick wrote: I was thinking the same thing about the Patriots. Do they really need Antonio Brown, or did they sign him to keep somebody another powerful team like the Chiefs or Rams from signing him?
Wouldn't be surprising at all if that is there main intent. That is what college teams used to do all the time before they started putting scholarship limits in. Recruit guys not because you really needed them yourself but just to keep them away from the competition.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Jets suffered a crusher. And don't have the fortitude to recover. Plus their schedule is a killer. The record may read 0-1...but the New York Jets are 0-6. Heck they can play well and still end up 0-6 due to the quality of their opponents.

Miami looks like they want to go 0-16

Buffalo has a legitimate top 3 defense in the league. Perhaps even 1. But their offense is still below average. Seem destined for 8-8

Cleveland suffered a downer but are getting the perfect opponent that they will get up for and annihilate week 2.

Murray looked like a world beater at the end of that game there. Impressed. Would like Darnold to look like that soon
Aron Harris

Post by Aron Harris »

I was happy to see Derek Carr and the Raiders pull out a W and look good on offense despite the suffocating AB coverage from the weekend. Not expecting to see that kind of performance every week from them but in any case it was good to see them fight through the noise.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
lastcat3 wrote:Good Lord this looks to be the best Patriots team since about 2007. I think they have a very good chance of breaking the Bills record of getting to four Super Bowls in a row.

I was thinking the same thing about the Patriots. Do they really need Antonio Brown, or did they sign him to keep somebody another powerful team like the Chiefs or Rams from signing him? The only thing that might stop them is if Brady goes down or Father Time suddenly catches up with him like it did with Brett Favre in 2010. I suppose Brown's antics could tear this team apart if he keeps acting up, but Belichick would get rid of him before he did much damage.
I think their trade of Thomas to the Jets answered that question.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Sam Darnold has mono and is out Monday night (and probably longer) God once again doing what he usually does to the Jets.

And L. Bell with an MRI on his shoulder. Season about to spiral out of control