2019 NFL Season Discussion Thread

rhickok1109

Re: 2019 NFL Season Discussion Thread

Post by rhickok1109 »

JWL wrote:Blown Whistle Awarded Game Ball in Saints-Rams Game

I "like" how the CBA makes it so that backup quarterbacks have little to no reps in practice so that when they get into a game they are often useless and games can become unwatchable. Unless you are a Browns or Jets fan or a diehard NFL fans or a person who writes about the sport, I do not know how you could have stomached watching the entire Browns-Jets MNF game.
How does the CBA do that?
JWL

Post by JWL »

Unless I am wrong, practice time was cut. Coaches have less time for letting backup QBs get in work with the offense. One will run the scout team and the other one (if the team carries a 3rd) watches or something. I have heard this ever since the last CBA agreement. Again, maybe I have it wrong. I haven't looked at a CBA since 2003 when I wrote a paper on the NFL and NBA ones for a college course.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Yea that Browns Jets game was a root canal. I suffered through the whole thing...actually got to see a bit of Le'veon Bell at his best during garbage time. He reeled off some of his signature runs before fumbling. But I mean with the state of the Jets there is just nothing you can do. Promising young TE suspended, a receiver (Enunwa) out for the year, two top LB's out, 1st round pick Q Williams out. Starting QB out, backup QB out, newly acquired receiver (Demayrius Thomas) out. But the defense played very well and the Browns just begged the Jets to crawl back in this game by playing sloppy nonsense undisciplined football. Mayfield was absolutely terrible. But the Jets really couldn't move the ball. All the injury turmoil has ruined any chemistry they had. Somehow the 3rd string QB looked competent but I never really felt he was going to ever put it in the endzone
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

JWL wrote:Blown Whistle Awarded Game Ball in Saints-Rams Game

I "like" how the CBA makes it so that backup quarterbacks have little to no reps in practice so that when they get into a game they are often useless and games can become unwatchable. Unless you are a Browns or Jets fan or a diehard NFL fans or a person who writes about the sport, I do not know how you could have stomached watching the entire Browns-Jets MNF game.
I remember during pregame they had Siemian mic'd up, and it just struck me how laid back, relaxed, and just plain not fired up he was with his pregame rhetoric to his teammates. Sure enough he gets in there and was a deer in headlights. Of course having a turnstile O-line has something to do with that too
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote: The Patriots +73 in points scored/allowed differential (76-3) may be the highest of any team ever over the first two weeks of the season.
How about '75 Redskins starting out '90-16'?
The '68 Cowboys started out 87=20, and had a 132-33 edge after three weeks--then got upset in the first round of the playoffs.

The '89 Browns started out 89-24 and almost didn't make the playoffs.

The 1966 Cowboys' first four games had them outscoring opponents by a 183-45 score. They lost in the first of their consecutive battles with the Pack.

1966-69 Cowboys were dominant through November, compiling a record of 34-9-2--and ended up with nothing to show for it.
Last edited by BD Sullivan on Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Watched the whole game, of course.

Bell was great to watch, all the way to the end.

Most interesting thing was seeing Falk under center -- watched his entire career at WSU and was thinking when he came in and first play under center that it looked weird and then of course he bobbled it and looked like he almost fumbled the first snap. Also looked like he bobbled another one after that. Moved the ball well, though. Didn't get any help from O-line and majority of receivers came up small for him, too.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Reaser wrote:Watched the whole game, of course.

Bell was great to watch, all the way to the end.

Most interesting thing was seeing Falk under center -- watched his entire career at WSU and was thinking when he came in and first play under center that it looked weird and then of course he bobbled it and looked like he almost fumbled the first snap. Also looked like he bobbled another one after that. Moved the ball well, though. Didn't get any help from O-line and majority of receivers came up small for him, too.
That usually happens a lot when you have an emergency C/QB pairing that haven't really practiced together. No rhythm/timing
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

sheajets wrote:That usually happens a lot when you have an emergency C/QB pairing that haven't really practiced together. No rhythm/timing
And the QB was in shotgun in HS and took maybe 30 snaps total under center in 4-years of college (and looked awkward a lot of those times there, too) and it was a big deal of "getting used to it" at Titans camp last year and for a while was all the Luke Falk coverage there was -- "adapting to take snaps under center."

So wasn't a surprise it looked awkward, it was interesting -to me- they started him off that way when he came into the game.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote: The Patriots +73 in points scored/allowed differential (76-3) may be the highest of any team ever over the first two weeks of the season.
I don't know if it's the record but that's the team I thought of. I remember how shocked I was when Washington lost decisively to the 0-2 Eagles in Week 3.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

BD Sullivan wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:
The '68 Cowboys started out 87=20, and had a 132-33 edge after three weeks--then got upset in the first round of the playoffs.

The '89 Browns started out 89-24 and almost didn't make the playoffs.

The 1966 Cowboys' first four games had them outscoring opponents by a 183-45 score. They lost in the first of their consecutive battles with the Pack.

1966-69 Cowboys were dominant through November, compiling a record of 34-9-2--and ended up with nothing to show for it.
And of course, the 1927 Giants went 197-20...
for the entire season.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... g/1927.htm