2019 NFL Season Discussion Thread

JameisLoseston

Re: 2019 NFL Season Discussion Thread

Post by JameisLoseston »

Rupert Patrick wrote: As for Brady, he'll let us know when he's had enough. This could be it. He strikes me as the kind of guy who will walk away and still have one good year left in him like Otto Graham and Joe Montana and John Elway probably did if he calls it a career after this season, as opposed to Brett Favre and Johnny Unitas and (even though they had to bench him for the second half of his final season until the playoffs) Peyton Manning, who played one season too many.
Staubach also had a lot of really good football left in him. If he had played a few more years we could be talking about him as a Rushmore guy over Unitas. Dan Marino is another burnout, and a more unusual career path is YA Tittle, who turned it on late in his career but still flamed out.

I don't think I'd call this one a good season for Brady by 2019 standards, so I'd say he seems more like the latter category to me, he's going to play too long and go out a lifeless husk. He's already said he wants to play until at least 45, and at this rate he'll be a backup by then. But he also said he'll retire when he sucks, so likely he doesn't make it there. Can't say I'm not disappointed, I was really rooting for him to go longer than every other QB ever, not just by a little but but by a lot. I wanted him to do something to lock up all-position GOAT status over Rice and Brown, but it doesn't look like it's happening. We still have Brees.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

JameisLoseston wrote: Staubach also had a lot of really good football left in him. If he had played a few more years we could be talking about him as a Rushmore guy over Unitas. Dan Marino is another burnout, and a more unusual career path is YA Tittle, who turned it on late in his career but still flamed out.
Staubach was 37 when he retired and he had taken a lot of punishment due to his style of play. He quit while he was still at the top of his game. Good for him.
Having said that, Roger could have played another five effective seasons and he wouldn't have replaced Unitas. He may have deserved being the fifth head but Johnny U is permanently carved into our mountain.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JameisLoseston wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote: As for Brady, he'll let us know when he's had enough. This could be it. He strikes me as the kind of guy who will walk away and still have one good year left in him like Otto Graham and Joe Montana and John Elway probably did if he calls it a career after this season, as opposed to Brett Favre and Johnny Unitas and (even though they had to bench him for the second half of his final season until the playoffs) Peyton Manning, who played one season too many.
Staubach also had a lot of really good football left in him. If he had played a few more years we could be talking about him as a Rushmore guy over Unitas. Dan Marino is another burnout, and a more unusual career path is YA Tittle, who turned it on late in his career but still flamed out.

I don't think I'd call this one a good season for Brady by 2019 standards, so I'd say he seems more like the latter category to me, he's going to play too long and go out a lifeless husk. He's already said he wants to play until at least 45, and at this rate he'll be a backup by then. But he also said he'll retire when he sucks, so likely he doesn't make it there. Can't say I'm not disappointed, I was really rooting for him to go longer than every other QB ever, not just by a little but but by a lot. I wanted him to do something to lock up all-position GOAT status over Rice and Brown, but it doesn't look like it's happening. We still have Brees.
I seem to remember an interview with Staubach where he said he suffered a couple concussions during the 1979 season and knew it was time to retire; I'm pretty sure he suffered one in the Pittsburgh regular season game that forced him out of the game. Until 2000 or so, 37 or 38 was the upper age boundary for a QB due to the training regimens of the era, diet, medicine, etc.

Tarkenton walked away at 38 although he probably could have played another season; in his 1978 season, he led the NFL in attempts, completions, yards and interceptions, but it was clear the Purple People Eaters dynasty was over and Tommy Kramer was ready to take over the starting job, and all three networks were waiting to offer Tark a cushy broadcasting job as soon as he hung up his cleats.

Blanda was an exception at age 42 or 43 because he would come off the bench and throw a few passes; he wasn't the starter who was taking all the snaps in the game, and virtually all the snaps in practices. It also helped that the Raiders also had a pretty good offensive line, and Blanda was a tough guy.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

What's going on now is playing right into New Englands hands. The media and everyone else's fans will shovel dirt on them, they'll get to work, get extra inspired/motivated to shove it down everybody's throats.

They're not as good as Baltimore. Perhaps they are fading for real this time, and Brady's decline is real and irreversible, but they absolutely have enough fuel in the tank to swipe one last title.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

With Staubach I believe he was instructed by a neurologist that it was in his best interest to retire. Roger was a smart guy and he didn't want to jeopardize a successful post football life any more than he had already.

Marino looked like the old Marino until Jimmy Johnson got there. He tried to turn Miami into a more balanced team. But that accuracy just wasn't quite there it seemed. I know as a fan I didn't fear him anymore like I used to. And he didn't have a ton to work with outside of OJ McDuffie. And OJ was just OK.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

As for Brady, he'll let us know when he's had enough. This could be it.
I believe he's been quoted as saying he wants to play until he's 45.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Rupert Patrick wrote: Tarkenton walked away at 38 although he probably could have played another season; in his 1978 season, he led the NFL in attempts, completions, yards and interceptions, but it was clear the Purple People Eaters dynasty was over and Tommy Kramer was ready to take over the starting job, and all three networks were waiting to offer Tark a cushy broadcasting job as soon as he hung up his cleats.
Tarkenton missed the final six regular season games and the two playoff contests in 77, so he presumably figured he had made enough of a comeback to walk away without any regrets.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Staubach's 1979 performance was (at the time) probably second only to Y.A. Title's 1963 season on the list of greatest years by a quarterback aged 37 or older. Charlie Conerly's 1959 season is also up there. I read one book saying he had five concussions in his final season, and that drove him from the game long before he was physically or mentally ready to go. Staubach was 37, but he had only played in the NFL for a decade, and he didn't start a full season until 1973.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

'19 Steelers...not too far-off from their '81 installment! Each started 0-2 (of course, '19 starting 0-3), both were 8-5 only to lose last three.

Only Big Ben knows if he's physically able to give it a go for another season or two. Whatever his decision is, you got to respect it being he is no spring chicken. But if he decides to stick around for that other season or two, it'd sure be great news obviously!

Titans can hardly be an obstacle for NE next week despite NE seemingly looking "off" as of late. I also can't see KC taking home-advantage the following week. Of course I'd place Ravens at #1 in a 2019 regular season Power Rankings going into the playoffs. But not too certain they can win it again vs Buffalo (who I think will beat Texans at Hou). Bills weren't far-off at all from beating Ravens in their affair at Baltimore. They strike me as a team, despite an unsexy regular season finish, that can get 'hot' starting next week! Rich Eisen has them as a Super Bowl-participant. In such an event, the Pats will be at home after all for the AFCC. Either way, even if Ravens do get to host the AFCC anyway, you just can't count Belichick & Brady out until they actually are out! Even if John Harbaugh has had his share of doing well vs B&B (and now actually having the more-talented team).
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

The upshot I've been hearing is that Ben is just bluffing, he wouldn't possibly retire now because he has too much left on his contract. Not sure I buy it totally, I'm sure he is legitimately weighing his options, but I'd be surprised not to see him out there next year too. What about Philip Rivers? He says he wants to keep playing but isn't sure if it'll be with the Chargers. What teams would be interested in him? I've heard a lot about how bad he's been, but I'm not sure why we're piling on him and praising someone like Jameis when the two have had very similar seasons, Rivers just with a bit less in each category (including the INTs of course). He still had 4600+ yards. I don't think he's washed.