PFRA Websites Update

TodMaher

Re: PFRA Websites Update

Post by TodMaher »

RyanChristiansen wrote:
TodMaher wrote:The number one goal was to get the site properly function. The old site had so many broken links I lost count.
The number two goal was to make the site viewable on no-desktop devices. In 2018, 58% of internet traffic was on mobile devices.
Yes, the better mobile viewing experience was something I noticed right away. Good work on this, and thanks!
Thank you.

I added a photo gallery of the 2018 Convention:

http://www.profootballresearchers.org/2 ... ntion.html
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

There is currently no way for members to access past issues of Coffin Corner. When you go into the Members Only section, the links are broken.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

RyanChristiansen wrote:There is currently no way for members to access past issues of Coffin Corner. When you go into the Members Only section, the links are broken.
Sorry about that. Those issues should be fixed now. Volume 36 Number 4 is missing, though, so I'm trying to track down a PDF of that issue.
Last edited by TodMaher on Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

TodMaher wrote:
RyanChristiansen wrote:There is currently no way for members to access past issues of Coffin Corner. When you go into the Members Only section, the links are broken.
Sorry about that. Those issues should be fixed now. Volume 36 Number 4 is missing, though, so I'm trying to track down a PDF of that issue.
Volume 36 Number 4 is now available in the Members Only section.
RyanChristiansen

The Contact Us button on the web site simply executes the mailto protocol, but that protocol doesn't always work in all environments, such as when you're using a computer where you don't have an email client installed. (I personally only access email through web pages.) Could we create a Contact Us page, instead, with a link to that email address on the page so that you can easily copy and paste if necessary? Or better yet, can we have a form someone can fill out to send a message to that email address? (I'm guessing that by publishing the email address on the web site we're only inviting spam.) Ideally, it would be great if we could also have a conversational chat bot that could answer visitors' questions.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

RyanChristiansen wrote:The Contact Us button on the web site simply executes the mailto protocol, but that protocol doesn't always work in all environments, such as when you're using a computer where you don't have an email client installed. (I personally only access email through web pages.) Could we create a Contact Us page, instead, with a link to that email address on the page so that you can easily copy and paste if necessary? Or better yet, can we have a form someone can fill out to send a message to that email address? (I'm guessing that by publishing the email address on the web site we're only inviting spam.) Ideally, it would be great if we could also have a conversational chat bot that could answer visitors' questions.
Yeah, that could be done, but an email form (and other things such as search) requires other things which right now are out of my hands.
RyanChristiansen

TodMaher wrote:(other things such as search) requires other things which right now are out of my hands.
Couldn't you add a simple FORM tag with the target as Google to leverage Google for search? Within the form, add the "site" limiter with the target "profootballresearchers.org" and search results will be limited to the PFRA web site.
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

RyanChristiansen wrote:
TodMaher wrote:(other things such as search) requires other things which right now are out of my hands.
Couldn't you add a simple FORM tag with the target as Google to leverage Google for search? Within the form, add the "site" limiter with the target "profootballresearchers.org" and search results will be limited to the PFRA web site.
Well, yes, but then Google will start asking everyone if they are a robot and then they will think PFRA is robot or worse. That's why you have to sign up for the Google Custom Search engine.
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

The PFRA board is in the middle of deciding numerous things involving the website - including a hiring an outside professional to design, run and host the site.
So, until that time the only things involving website that I will dealing with are broken links, typos and new content.
RyanChristiansen

Some HTML is showing up as an artifact. See the attachment.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (26.56 KiB) Viewed 19150 times