Dirtiest player in each franchise's history?

JeffreyMiller

Re: Dirtiest player in each franchise's history?

Post by JeffreyMiller »

rhickok1109 wrote:Butkus has be in the conversation as the Bear's dirtiest player.
You're a Packers fan, so ...
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

For the Jets the dirtiest I can remember (still love the guy) was Marty Lyons
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

JeffreyMiller wrote:
rhickok1109 wrote:Butkus has be in the conversation as the Bear's dirtiest player.
Are you suggesting that, because I'm a Packers fan, I'm nominating someone who played for the Bears as the team's dirtiest player? :D
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

rhickok1109 wrote:
JeffreyMiller wrote:
Are you suggesting that, because I'm a Packers fan, I'm nominating someone who played for the Bears as the team's dirtiest player? :D
Not that a Packers fan would ever disparage a member Halas' brutes ...
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Saban wrote:I thought Larry Cole's hit on Bradshaw in Super Bowl VIII was dirty. Cole, with a cast on his arm, whacked Terry Bradshaw on his helmet a split second after Terry released his pass to Lynn Swann for a TD. Bradshaw was out for the remainder of the game, but Pittsburgh won anyway.
iirc he hit him with the forearm around the neck and with his helmet up above the facemask. Absolutely brutal hit.

Bradshaw I recall telling a story how he was unconscious in the locker room only to be awoken by Tommy Brookshire, his voice first a distant whisper and as he came out of it Brookshire was standing right over him screaming. He had no recollection of the throw, result of the play or hit.

Still if Percy Howard hauls in that endzone throw from Staubach in the end he probably becomes one of the greatest stories in sports history. And everybody in America would know his name
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Another Steeler who had at least one cheap shot to his (dis)credit was Glen Edwards, who clotheslined Ken Anderson in a 1974 game at Cincy. Ironically, that was the game in which Anderson set an NFL record for completion percentage.
nicefellow31

Post by nicefellow31 »

sheajets wrote:
Saban wrote:I thought Larry Cole's hit on Bradshaw in Super Bowl VIII was dirty. Cole, with a cast on his arm, whacked Terry Bradshaw on his helmet a split second after Terry released his pass to Lynn Swann for a TD. Bradshaw was out for the remainder of the game, but Pittsburgh won anyway.
iirc he hit him with the forearm around the neck and with his helmet up above the facemask. Absolutely brutal hit.

Bradshaw I recall telling a story how he was unconscious in the locker room only to be awoken by Tommy Brookshire, his voice first a distant whisper and as he came out of it Brookshire was standing right over him screaming. He had no recollection of the throw, result of the play or hit.

Still if Percy Howard hauls in that endzone throw from Staubach in the end he probably becomes one of the greatest stories in sports history. And everybody in America would know his name
Underrated part of that play is that Bradshaw knew he was going to get blasted. He just held the ball just a little bit longer for Swann to get open and then he let it go in the nick of time.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Lyle Alzado ripping the hemet of Chris Ward in the 1982 playoffs it has to be one of the dirtiest plays in playoff history.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Teo wrote:Lyle Alzado ripping the hemet of Chris Ward in the 1982 playoffs it has to be one of the dirtiest plays in playoff history.
Just a little roid rage.
Hail Casares

Post by Hail Casares »

Bryan wrote:
Since Martin developed the original "hit list", he needs to be on the list!

Its definitely possible the Bears win the Super Bowl in 86 with McMahon, but its also possible that McMahon gets injured at some subsequent point in 1986 or that the Bears lose to the Redskins with a healthy McMahon in the 86 playoffs (like they did in 87).
Also worth noting, McMahon was terrible in 1986 before he was hurt.