Re: Your favorite episode of "A Football Life"

Post by Todd Pence »

My favorites: Steve Largent, Alan Page, Earl Campbell, John Riggins

Would like to see: Sam Huff.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Todd Pence wrote:
sheajets wrote:I've always hated the "he never won anything" argument when it comes to great professional athletes who ended up in unfortunate circumstances. What more could Barry Sanders and Dan Marino do? They never won a championship
One of the dumbest comments I've ever read came from a writer for FOOTBALL DIGEST magazine. He attempted to denigrate the accomplishments of Jim Brown because "he never got a Super Bowl ring." Brown retired the season before the Super Bowl was first played. He did win an NFL title with the Browns.
Yes, that was as dumb as "O.J. never won a national championship in college, did he?" How did whoever the NFL Network has in charge of vetting the programming let that one through? Or the editor of Football Digest?

It's just the low priority for knowledge of football history.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Retro Rider wrote:
SixtiesFan wrote:
O.J. Simpson was Number 3. A "talk radio show idiot" opined: "O.J. never won anything. He never won a national championship in college did he? He never won anything in the NFL. He never won anything."

Well, anyone who knew football history (even slightly) knows O.J. Simpson's 1967 USC team was the college football national champion that year; a "Game of the Century" win over UCLA with O.J. making a 64 yard game winning TD run, and a Rose Bowl victory. Yet this clown blubbered "O.J. never won a national championship in college."
Kenny Roda WKNR 850 AM Cleveland ... wow:

https://youtu.be/FCoqX4-jCpU
"They talk about Tebow being the biggest college football star of all time"--Who does? Someone whose perspective goes all the way back to 2005? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BTW, Roda is definitely in the category of radio talk show idiot.
Hail Casares

Post by Hail Casares »

Evan wrote:This is a topic that I think everyone will have different answers to. There have been eight seasons of the NFL Network’s documentary series A Football Life, spanning more than 100 episodes. I’ve seen almost all of them from the first five seasons, not too many from the last three. The complete list of episodes thus far can be found at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Football_Life
My top 3:
Ed Sabol
Steve Sabol
Pat Summerall.

There's nothing close to these three IMO.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Is there going to be a Season 9?
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Have they done one on Rocky Bleier? I am a sucker for stories about men who overcome great odds to succeed great things. I really enjoyed the Kurt Warner episode and would love to see one on Fred Jackson, who followed a similar path to the NFL. Roger Staubach would be a good subject too. Marlin Briscoe ...
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Hail Casares

Post by Hail Casares »

JeffreyMiller wrote:Have they done one on Rocky Bleier? I am a sucker for stories about men who overcome great odds to succeed great things. I really enjoyed the Kurt Warner episode and would love to see one on Fred Jackson, who followed a similar path to the NFL. Roger Staubach would be a good subject too. Marlin Briscoe ...
I'm like 99% sure there is a Staubach one.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Hail Casares wrote:
JeffreyMiller wrote:Have they done one on Rocky Bleier? I am a sucker for stories about men who overcome great odds to succeed great things. I really enjoyed the Kurt Warner episode and would love to see one on Fred Jackson, who followed a similar path to the NFL. Roger Staubach would be a good subject too. Marlin Briscoe ...
SInce I lost the NFL Network, I lost track of who has been covered in the series. Thank you!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Hail Casares wrote:
Roger Staubach was A Football Life subject on Season Four. It's repeated often.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

SixtiesFan wrote:
Hail Casares wrote:
Roger Staubach was A Football Life subject on Season Four. It's repeated often.
Like I said, I lost the NFL Network, so I wouldn't know that. But thanks!