Your favorite episode of "A Football Life"

Evan

Your favorite episode of "A Football Life"

Post by Evan »

This is a topic that I think everyone will have different answers to. There have been eight seasons of the NFL Network’s documentary series A Football Life, spanning more than 100 episodes. I’ve seen almost all of them from the first five seasons, not too many from the last three. The complete list of episodes thus far can be found at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Football_Life

My questions for the Forum are:
1. Which are your favorite four episodes?

For me:
1. Kurt Warner (so much more than a football documentary, it’s really the ultimate fairy tale come true)
2. Alan Page (my god, where do you begin? I just want to thank this man for everything he has stood for, and continues to)
3. Bruce Arians (has elements that everyone can relate to, especially if you’ve ever lost a job)
4. Vince Lombardi (best opening sequence ever. His daughter’s story and the way the music builds makes you want to run through a wall, rebuild the wall, and run through it again)
• Others that I can watch again and again: Bill Walsh, Marshall Faulk, Dick Vermeil, Joe Greene, Warren Moon, John Riggins, Steve Sabol, Michael Strahan, Jerry Smith, The Perfect Backfield, the Fearsome Foursome.

2. Who do you wish the NFL Network would choose as subjects for future episodes?

For me:
• Fran Tarkenton (it’s a mystery to me why he's never had a significant documentary. Can’t figure it out. You can’t write the history of the NFL without him.)
• Bob Lilly (from being the first Cowboy through the helmet throw to winning the Super Bowl, this story would have it all)
• Jack Lambert (I’ve never seen a real in-depth take into this guy’s mind and story)
• Willie Lanier / Bobby Bell (the story of the 60s Chiefs would be a good one. I think these two could fill in a lot of anecdotes about the era, race relations, prejudices, the AFL, etc.)
• Jim Plunkett (such an incredible story there)
• Lance Alworth (is there anything more to him than sun-drenched, mid-air catches? Maybe not, but I’d like to find out)
• Willie Davis (such an impressive person in every conceivable way, I’d love to know more about his story)
Reaser

Re: Your favorite episode of "A Football Life"

Post by Reaser »

First, Tarkenton. Watch "Scramblin' Fran", an SEC Storied episode. It's really good.

The good thing about "A Football Life" is that for the most part they all have re-watch value. Not too many misses: The Tebow one that was completely unnecessary and just trying to cash-in on Tebow mania, and The Forward Pass I don't think was done well at all and probably is the worst episode.

Not necessarily my favorite four but the ones I can think of that I have seen the most are, in no specific order: Marcus Allen, Doug Flutie, Sean Taylor and Steve Largent.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I really liked the Chuck Noll episode, as he was such a private man who rarely gave interviews. I am lucky to have recorded an episode of Up Close on ESPN where they interviewed Chuck Noll; I think the interview was from right after he retired from coaching the Steelers, and is the only substantial off-field interview I have ever seen of him.

The Fearsome Foursome episode was great; I loved the singing and dancing portion, and the fact they still remained best friends for the rest of their lives.

Episodes I would like to see:

-George Halas, which is kind of an oversight that they haven't already covered him.

-Art Rooney, as he was from all accounts one of the finest gamblers in the country, but parlayed that success into buying a football team that were perpetual losers for 40 years. It wasn't until his son took over the reins of the franchise that their fortunes began to change.

-I think Waterfield/Van Brocklin would make for an interesting episode. The two seemed polar opposites, but they somehow got along and shared a job in LA, when any team in the league except the Browns and maybe the Lions would have traded half their team to obtain either of them.

-George Blanda - From a QB/Kicker in the 50's, retires, gets a second life in the AFL, where he becomes a big star, his career winds down, and has a third life as a clutch kicker for the Raiders in the 70's. He has a story unlike anybody else in pro football history.

Howard Cosell - He led a really interesting life, from being a Union Lawyer to hosting a radio show where he interviewed Little Leaguers to his relationship with Ali and Wide World of Sports and Monday Night Football to his downfall, after having done more to advance the cause of the black athlete in America than anybody since Branch Rickey. I think he was the main reason Monday Night Football succeeded.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Reaser wrote:First, Tarkenton. Watch "Scramblin' Fran", an SEC Storied episode. It's really good.

The good thing about "A Football Life" is that for the most part they all have re-watch value. Not too many misses: The Tebow one that was completely unnecessary and just trying to cash-in on Tebow mania, and The Forward Pass I don't think was done well at all and probably is the worst episode.

Not necessarily my favorite four but the ones I can think of that I have seen the most are, in no specific order: Marcus Allen, Doug Flutie, Sean Taylor and Steve Largent.
The best part of the Forward Pass episode was watching Boomer Esaison trying to throw those old footballs.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

I liked the Fearsome Foursome and Lombardi episodes.

I would like to see episodes focusing on Marlin Briscoe, Jim Plunkett, Fred Jackson, Tom Dempsey ...
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
JWL

Post by JWL »

I liked the Lyle Alzado one the most. The Sean Taylor one was good to see too because it changed my perception of him. Through the media and my own thoughts about people spitting on others, I was thinking he was a jerk after initially being a fan of him.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

The Ed Sabol and Steve Sabol episodes were both well done.
slats7

Post by slats7 »

As a Dallas fan, I'm ashamed to admit I enjoyed the Swann/Stallworth segment. Oh, and Staubach too.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

JWL wrote:I liked the Lyle Alzado one the most. The Sean Taylor one was good to see too because it changed my perception of him. Through the media and my own thoughts about people spitting on others, I was thinking he was a jerk after initially being a fan of him.

I am also fan of Alzado's episode. I also liked John Riggins.

I also would love to see Fran Tarkenton. Of the coaches I would love to see Bum Phillips.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

ChrisBabcock wrote:The Ed Sabol and Steve Sabol episodes were both well done.
Yes!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."