"Name the Game" trivia

Wendell02

Re: "Name the Game" trivia

Post by Wendell02 »

Teo wrote:- In this game, the home teams' punter was injured (although he played as a holder) and the backup quarterback had to punt three times (the only punts of his long NFL career), one of the punts was blocked and returned for a TD by the visiting team.
- Both teams had a runningback who rushed for more than 100 yards ans scored 1 TD apiece.
- The home team had a chance to tie the game at the end and go to overtime, but their kicker missed a short field goal.
Browns-Vikings, 10/26/1986, fits this except for one thing. Wade Wilson only had two career punts.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Wendell02 wrote:
Teo wrote:- In this game, the home teams' punter was injured (although he played as a holder) and the backup quarterback had to punt three times (the only punts of his long NFL career), one of the punts was blocked and returned for a TD by the visiting team.
- Both teams had a runningback who rushed for more than 100 yards ans scored 1 TD apiece.
- The home team had a chance to tie the game at the end and go to overtime, but their kicker missed a short field goal.
Browns-Vikings, 10/26/1986, fits this except for one thing. Wade Wilson only had two career punts.
Correct! IIRC he tried to puint three times, one was blocked and punted twice more, but I'll check the gamebook. It's interesting that kicker Chuck Nelson replaced Wilson as a punter later in the game, and I've always wondered why Greg Coleman didn't punt in this game, but he dressed and played as a holder.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

This record-setting game featured a TD-throwing player whose first name was the same as the opposing team's nickname.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Bryan wrote:This record-setting game featured a TD-throwing player whose first name was the same as the opposing team's nickname.
Redskins at Colts, 2014, Colt McCoy?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Teo wrote:
Bryan wrote:This record-setting game featured a TD-throwing player whose first name was the same as the opposing team's nickname.
Redskins at Colts, 2014, Colt McCoy?
I hadn't even thought about that possibility...good stuff. The game I am referencing saw the winning team score more points in that one game than in all their other games combined that season.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

The game I am referencing saw the winning team score more points in that one game than in all their other games combined that season.
hmmm. Would probably be an older game then. My first thought when I saw this was that the guy who threw the TD pass was named Bill somebody in a game against the Bills. Although the Bills have had many seasons of offensive ineptitude, I don't think they've ever had more than half of their point in a season come in one game.

EDIT... I got it! Eagles over the Reds 64-0 on 11/6/34. The Eagles scored 63 points in their other 10 games that year. Red Kirkman threw the TD.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
The game I am referencing saw the winning team score more points in that one game than in all their other games combined that season.
hmmm. Would probably be an older game then. My first thought when I saw this was that the guy who threw the TD pass was named Bill somebody in a game against the Bills. Although the Bills have had many seasons of offensive ineptitude, I don't think they've ever had more than half of their point in a season come in one game.

EDIT... I got it! Eagles over the Reds 64-0 on 11/6/34. The Eagles scored 63 points in their other 10 games that year. Red Kirkman threw the TD.
I have to cite you on a technicality...the opposing team was named the "Reds", not the "Red". Right game, wrong player. The correct player is the unfortunately named Reds Weiner.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Bryan wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:

I have to cite you on a technicality...the opposing team was named the "Reds", not the "Red". Right game, wrong player. The correct player is the unfortunately named Reds Weiner.
Hah. If I would have kept looking I would have bumped into him. I got to looking up guys named Red on pfr who would have played against the Reds, found him and that game and didn't look further. Very creative trivia question!
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

In this game...
- A future hall of fame head coach returned an interception for a TD for the winning team.
- A player, usually remembered for his interceptions (intercepting the ball) had a very long kickoff return for a touchdown for the winning team.
- A future head coach with a rather terrible career W-L percentage as a coach, kicked a field goal for the losing team.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

In this game:

A former coach returned to face his old team
The losing QB threw 6 interceptions
The winning team scored a defensive touchdown