"Name the Game" trivia

Todd Pence

Re: "Name the Game" trivia

Post by Todd Pence »

Both teams in this game would miss the playoffs this season, although both would finish with won-loss records identical to playoff teams in their conference.

The player who scored the game's lone touchdown would score a TD in the Super Bowl two seasons later.

The losing team finished with more than 11 times the rushing yardage the winning team did.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Todd Pence wrote:Both teams in this game would miss the playoffs this season, although both would finish with won-loss records identical to playoff teams in their conference.

The player who scored the game's lone touchdown would score a TD in the Super Bowl two seasons later.

The losing team finished with more than 11 times the rushing yardage the winning team did.
Arguably Lawrence Taylor's tour-de-force performance...the G-men@Saints Sunday Nighter in '88. Earlier in the day, after Eagles beat Cards to go to 8-5 ('Miracle at the Meadowlands II' just one week prior), Buddy Ryan said in the post-game press-conference that tonight he was going to have himself a bourbon and watch the Saints beat the (7-5 at the time) Giants.

NO out-rushed NYG 155-to-14 and Stephen Baker scored the lone TD in that 13-12 affair. He would also score the TD in the 2nd Q, SBXXV, to keep G-men down by just two (12-10) at the half.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

- A running back would have his highest rushing yardage total in game for his career in this game. (it was over 100 yards)
- A Heisman Trophy winner would be the QB for the losing team.
- A player caught a TD pass who’s jersey number was 7 digits less than the player who threw it.

*** Clue #1 edited so nobody thought it was some random guy getting his only career carry.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

ChrisBabcock wrote:- A running back would have his highest rushing yardage total in game for his career in this game. (it was over 100 yards)
- A player caught a TD pass who’s jersey number was 7 digits less than the player who threw it.

*** Clue #1 edited so nobody thought it was some random guy getting his only career carry.
I think I've got it. The 1976 opener between Houston and Tampa Bay, the first game in Bucs history.

Ronnie Coleman has a career high 142 yards.

Steve Spurrier is the Heisman quarterback for TB.

And Dan Patorini's number (7) is 7 more than zero (Ken Burrough)! Clever.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Todd Pence wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:- A running back would have his highest rushing yardage total in game for his career in this game. (it was over 100 yards)

I think I've got it. The 1976 opener between Houston and Tampa Bay, the first game in Bucs history.

correct!
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

A safety was the first score registered in this contest. It would eventually provide the margin of victory.

A touchdown scored by a member of the winning team would be the second to last of his career. The previous touchdown he had scored was as a member of the losing team.

It would be two years before the losing team's quarterback would win another start, and that game would be the last start of his career.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Todd Pence wrote:A safety was the first score registered in this contest. It would eventually provide the margin of victory.

A touchdown scored by a member of the winning team would be the second to last of his career. The previous touchdown he had scored was as a member of the losing team.

It would be two years before the losing team's quarterback would win another start, and that game would be the last start of his career.
Got it. This was tricky because at first I was looking for games in which the team that scored the safety won by 2. Then I realized "margin of victory" could mean a win by one point as well.

Jets 18, Buccaneers 17 - 9/8/13
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 080nyj.htm
Josh Freeman and Kellen Winslow Jr. are the players.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
Todd Pence wrote:A safety was the first score registered in this contest. It would eventually provide the margin of victory.

Got it. This was tricky because at first I was looking for games in which the team that scored the safety won by 2. Then I realized "margin of victory" could mean a win by one point as well.

Jets 18, Buccaneers 17 - 9/8/13
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 080nyj.htm
Josh Freeman and Kellen Winslow Jr. are the players.
You remember the Orlavsky gaffe with Lions in 2008? They ended up losing 12-10.
ChrisBabcock wrote:
Todd Pence wrote:

correct!
I seriously thought of a #7 throwing to Burrough as well and did think of Spurrier. I went to the '76 Bucs games but must have missed it; I think something sidetracked me before I continued searching.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Here's one...

In this battle between two 3-2 teams who would both end up in the playoffs, the first 3 TDs scored were each 50+yard plays; the 2nd and 3rd of these TDs were scored by the same player.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

Both of these teams came into this game with identical records, finished with idential records, and neither made the playoffs

This game was not on an over-the-air big TV network

It was the first time these teams played at this stadium

Each team scored only 1 touchdown and lost a fumble

One team's kicker made 5 field goals, two of them 50 yarders