More Inane Trivia

Bryan

More Inane Trivia

Post by Bryan »

Simple question: punter throws TD pass to defensive end. Name the two players.
JeffreyMiller

Re: More Inane Trivia

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Brian Moorman and Ryan Denney
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Wow, I actually have a different P-DE combination...I never thought it would have happened more than once, yet Moorman/Denney connected TWICE for TDs. Hmm.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Hank Lauricella to Gino Marchetti for the 1952 Dallas Texans.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

SixtiesFan wrote:Hank Lauricella to Gino Marchetti for the 1952 Dallas Texans.
Wasn't Lauricella the backup QB and Marchetti an OE for the Texans? I could be wrong. Anyways, this question has gone off the rails. The "answer" I was thinking of was Tom Blanchard to Elois Grooms.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Bryan wrote:
SixtiesFan wrote:Hank Lauricella to Gino Marchetti for the 1952 Dallas Texans.
Wasn't Lauricella the backup QB and Marchetti an OE for the Texans? I could be wrong. Anyways, this question has gone off the rails. The "answer" I was thinking of was Tom Blanchard to Elois Grooms.
Hank Lauricella wasn't a T formation QB. He was a single wing tailback (in high school also) and All-American on Tennessee's 1951 National Championship team. Lauricella was also second in the Heisman Trophy vote. Oddly, Hank Lauricella was very similar to the winner, Dick Kazmaier of Princeton. Hank Lauricella was drafted into the army after the 1952 season and never played football again. He was a successful businessman in New Orleans and served for decades in the Louisiana House and Senate and was said to have a part in building the Superdome.

Lauricella was the main punter for the 1952 Texans. Gino Marchetti was a DE as far as I can tell. The TD pass from Lauricella was (per Pro Football Reference) the only pass Marchetti caught that year. I don't know if the Lauricella to Marchetti TD pass was off a fake punt.

The 1-11 1952 Dallas Texans had a lot of notable players.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

https://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com ... n.html?m=1

It wasn't a fake punt. It was a regular offensive play.... regular for Dallas that is. Lauricella took the "shotgun" snap, rolled left, then scrambled to the right, and fired a jump pass into a crowd in the end zone.