Eagles Ownership and Doug Pederson

Brian wolf

Eagles Ownership and Doug Pederson

Post by Brian wolf »

With the firing of Doug Pederson by Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie today, some weird things emerge. First, Pederson is now the second coach fired by Lurie, who have won two of the last three Super Bowls (2017/18, 2019/20) Also, by firing both Reid and Pederson, Lurie has fired the only coaches to take the Eagles to the SB since Dick Vermeil in 1980/81. Luckily, the Eagles won it all in 2017/18 but Pederson's firing is the quickest firing of a SB winning coach since Barry Switzer after the 1997 season for Dallas, two years after winning the Super Bowl.

Whats even more crazy is the saga of George Seifert with SF. He is a defensive coach who is part of all three of HC Bill Walsh's SB victories. He replaces Bill Walsh in 1989 and succeeds in repeating a SB victory. He loses three devastating NFC Championship games in 91, 93 and 94 before winning the SB again in early 1995. After losing playoff games to GB and Brett Favre in early 96, 97, he is fired before the 1997 regular season, like Switzer, only two seasons after winning a Super Bowl.
Reaser

Re: Eagles Ownership and Doug Pederson

Post by Reaser »

Switzer and Seifert both resigned.

Doesn't change the point, or that Switzer was done and that Seifert was going to be replaced by Mariucci one way or another.
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

Reid was let go by the Eagles in 2012 and did not win the SB until 2019 when he got the best current quarterback in the game. He was probably 1 or 2 seasons overdue with his departure from the Eagles. Pederson is taking the hit for Wentz's regression (some of it unfairly) and Lurie is upset because a 100 million dollar quarterback was benched for several games. The Eagles have not been the same since Frank Reich left. Howie Roseman has done a terrible job in player personnel over the last few years.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Pederson caught lightning in a bottle in 2017. He has shown himself to be an incompetent in-game decision maker in the past three seasons. Throwing the division championship to Washington was the final straw.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

JohnH19 wrote:Pederson caught lightning in a bottle in 2017. He has shown himself to be an incompetent in-game decision maker in the past three seasons. Throwing the division championship to Washington was the final straw.
Agree, we quickly forget that the best team does not always win the super bowl, sometimes it's the team that gets hot at the right time, this was the Eagles.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

NWebster wrote:Agree, we quickly forget that the best team does not always win the super bowl, sometimes it's the team that gets hot at the right time, this was the Eagles.
They were still the #1 seed in the NFC, that year. Even if they didn't look great to finish the regular season they only lost the ugly week 17 game, post-Wentz.

Don't think he's an overly great HC, but does seem a bit off that week 17 of this season, a completely meaningless (they all matter but in general terms) game for the Eagles, overshadows what he did do. Narrative is all of a sudden as if the Eagles have been trash during his time, other than a 'fluke' Super Bowl run where they weren't a top-team but instead got hot at the right time. Doesn't seem all that accurate, to me.

2014-2015 Eagles missed the playoffs. 2015 Eagles were 7-9.
-Pederson-
2016: Went 7-9, with a rookie QB.

2017: 13-3 division champs, #1 seed in NFC, lost his QB who was a MVP favorite in week 14, still went on to blowout the #2 seed in the NFC in the NFC Championship and of course win the Super Bowl.

2018: Lost Wentz, again, after week 14, still won last 3 games (including beating the NFC champion, Rams, and AFC South champs, Texans) to make the playoffs. Won a playoff game (double doink), then lost a close game to the Saints (who probably should have won the NFC and maybe the Super Bowl that season).

2019: Another division championship and 3rd straight playoff appearance. Lost Wentz (again!) five and a half minutes into the WC round playoff game against a good Seahawks team. Game still came down to last two minutes and the Eagles, with Josh F. McCown, came up 10 yards short of a chance to tie the game.

2020: Disaster.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

My point is, all three coaches, Pederson, Switzer, Seifert, deserved to stay with their teams, whether they were forced to resign or were fired.

Maybe it was time for Reid to go in Philly but he showed once he got the right QB, though Smith and McNabb were capable as well, that he could finally win it all. Yet, considering the Eagles hadnt won anything since Norm Van Brocklin was their QB, Lurie was a little hasty firing Pederson. Sure, the players may be upset and untrustworthy but its a 4-12 team, so many of them will be gone soon enough anyway. How many coaches has DeSean Jackson went through ?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Reaser wrote:Narrative is all of a sudden as if the Eagles have been trash during his time, other than a 'fluke' Super Bowl run where they weren't a top-team but instead got hot at the right time. Doesn't seem all that accurate, to me.
Agree with this. That week 14 matchup in 2017 with the Rams was the best two teams in the NFL facing off, which the Eagles won despite Wentz getting hurt. The only thing flukey about their SB run was they did it with Foles instead of Wentz...I think they would have been the clear favorites to win the NFC had Wentz been healthy. Furthermore, the fact that Pederson won the SB with Foles should be more of an accomplishment, not downgraded as 'luck'.

It also doesn't make much sense to take Pederson to task for Wentz's struggles. He was a surprise high draft pick, he was a game manager his rookie year, and Pederson turned him into a legit MVP candidate. Even though he had good seasonal stats in 2018 & 2019, IMO he hasn't been the same since he was injured in that 2017 Rams game, and Wentz's production is attributable to Pederson. I think the continuous injuries have made Wentz "Jim Everett gun shy" to the point where now the Eagles would be better off without him.

I heard that from the start the Eagles owner and GM have made all the coaching staff decisions, which usually never works. The fact that Pederson still doesn't have control over staff decisions is probably the reason he orchestrated his exit. I'm sure Pederson won't be unemployed for long; it's not like he's Mike McCarthy.
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

Bryan wrote:
Reaser wrote:Narrative is all of a sudden as if the Eagles have been trash during his time, other than a 'fluke' Super Bowl run where they weren't a top-team but instead got hot at the right time. Doesn't seem all that accurate, to me.
Agree with this. That week 14 matchup in 2017 with the Rams was the best two teams in the NFL facing off, which the Eagles won despite Wentz getting hurt. The only thing flukey about their SB run was they did it with Foles instead of Wentz...I think they would have been the clear favorites to win the NFC had Wentz been healthy. Furthermore, the fact that Pederson won the SB with Foles should be more of an accomplishment, not downgraded as 'luck'.

It also doesn't make much sense to take Pederson to task for Wentz's struggles. He was a surprise high draft pick, he was a game manager his rookie year, and Pederson turned him into a legit MVP candidate. Even though he had good seasonal stats in 2018 & 2019, IMO he hasn't been the same since he was injured in that 2017 Rams game, and Wentz's production is attributable to Pederson. I think the continuous injuries have made Wentz "Jim Everett gun shy" to the point where now the Eagles would be better off without him.

I heard that from the start the Eagles owner and GM have made all the coaching staff decisions, which usually never works. The fact that Pederson still doesn't have control over staff decisions is probably the reason he orchestrated his exit. I'm sure Pederson won't be unemployed for long; it's not like he's Mike McCarthy.

I can tell you as an Eagles fan, the Eagles' offense and Carson Wentz have not been the same since Frank Reich left. After Chip Kelly was fired, the Eagles' top priority according to Jeffrey Lurie was to hire a coach who was "player friendly" and Pederson fit the bill. It was implied 2017 was "lightning in a bottle" and I agree 100%. You had a group of good players who all played at career-high levels and were well coached. Loosing Frank Reich started the team's decline. In fairness to the GM Howie Roseman, he had a tough task fixing the mess that Chip Kelly left and in two years, they were Super Bowl champions. You can't take that away from him, however in the last few years their drafting and free agent signing have been poor.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Carson Wentz is simply not a very good QB. He has absolutely no pocket awareness and he seems to me to be both scatter-brained and scatter-armed. The Eagles were lucky that he got hurt in 2017 because they never would have won the Super Bowl with him starting instead of Foles. If Pederson is to be blamed for blamed for anything, I'd blame him for sticking with Wentz, but I'm not sure how much of that was his fault and how much Wentz was forced upon him.