Troy Polamalu VS Ed Reed

74_75_78_79_

Troy Polamalu VS Ed Reed

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Seems to me like what may have once been a debate, is not so much in recent time. Ed Reed seems to have had the nod over him - latest example, of course, being just he of the two getting into the All-Time NFL team. Not saying that Troy should have gotten in (it is a very high, best-of-the-best, elite honor), and in all likelihood he will get into Canton 1st-Ballot, but just didn’t think there would now be a noticeable enough gap between both. Is it Reed’s 9 Pro Bowls/5 All-Pros to Troy’s 8 PBs/4 APs that does the trick?
JohnTurney

Re: Troy Polamalu VS Ed Reed

Post by JohnTurney »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Seems to me like what may have once been a debate, is not so much in recent time. Ed Reed seems to have had the nod over him - latest example, of course, being just he of the two getting into the All-Time NFL team. Not saying that Troy should have gotten in (it is a very high, best-of-the-best, elite honor), and in all likelihood he will get into Canton 1st-Ballot, but just didn’t think there would now be a noticeable enough gap between both. Is it Reed’s 9 Pro Bowls/5 All-Pros to Troy’s 8 PBs/4 APs that does the trick?
I think it was more of the eye test---Reed was the far better player, more rare.

Not that Troy wasn't good but he was good in his niche, making plays around the LOS, a box safety----more or less. Reed just had ranges that was unequaled, only a couple of guys were even close to his skill set at their peak.
JWL

Post by JWL »

I never saw this as much of a debate. Reed was an exceptional ballhawk, a fine tackler, and also made big plays on special teams. Polamalu was mostly a box safety and guessed wrong often. Polamalu will belong in the Hall of Fame as a lower rung guy. Reed is top of the line in the safety department.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

I think what decided it is that Troy gained a reputation as injury prone.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

As a Steelers fan, I loved Polamalu, but Reed was a much better player, and one of the all-time greats. Reed had twice the career interceptions of Polamalu (64 to 32), and seven career pick sixes to Troy's three. Reed also returned two fumbles for TD's, as did Polamalu, but also returned a punt for a TD, along with three blocked punt returns for TD's. (How many people in pro football history have returned a punt for a TD along with a blocked punt for a TD? I can't think of another.) I have to think his three blocked punt returns for TD's might also be a record. Reed led the NFL in interceptions three times, putting him alongside Everson Walls as the only players ever to lead the league three times in interceptions. Reed and Polamalu each played in 15 postseason games; Reed had nine interceptions to Polamalu's three. Reed's nine postseason interceptions are tied for the most ever. Ed Reed definitely belonged in the top 100, Polamalu did not.
Last edited by Rupert Patrick on Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

FWIW, Ed Reed (7/9/00s) also has better honors than Troy Polamalu (5/8/00s).
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

http://grantland.com/features/how-troy- ... -defenses/

I guess I have a higher opinion of Polamalu than most. I don't think he was 'better' than Reed, but he was a generational player IMO. I wouldn't classify him as a 'box safety'. He was asked to do quite a bit in that Steelers defense. He had the best range of any SS I have ever seen. He could be on the LOS at the snap and bat away a pass 40 yards downfield. He played the game at a different speed than the other guys on the field. I would love to hear how Coach Troup rates Polamalu among all-time SSs.
JWL

Post by JWL »

"Box safety" is not a negative term.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JWL wrote:"Box safety" is not a negative term.

It often denotes that the player cannot play deep (lacks speed) and that
his skills are suited to play the run or cover short zones or a TE (rather
than a wide receiver)

The great safeties could do both, Ed Reed played some SS, DOnnie SHell
could play around LOS and also cover a deep zone of 1/2 the field.

TP couldn't have played deep middle or 1/2 the field and still be great
He was used in a way the fit his skills. But he couldn't play
centerfield like some of the others
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Rupert Patrick wrote:As a Steelers fan, I loved Polamalu, but Reed was a much better player, and one of the all-time greats. Reed had twice the career interceptions of Polamalu (64 to 32), and seven career pick sixes to Troy's three. Reed also returned two fumbles for TD's, as did Polamalu, but also returned a punt for a TD, along with three blocked punt returns for TD's. (How many people in pro football history have returned a punt for a TD along with a blocked punt for a TD? I can't think of another.) I have to think his three blocked punt returns for TD's might also be a record. Reed led the NFL in interceptions three times, putting him alongside Everson Walls as the only players ever to lead the league three times in interceptions. Reed and Polamalu each played in 15 postseason games; Reed had nine interceptions to Polamalu's three. Reed's nine postseason interceptions are tied for the most ever. Ed Reed definitely belonged in the top 100, Polamalu did not.
Lemar Parrish had a blocked field goal returned for TD in the same game (Cincinnati at Buffalo in 1970) when he returned a kickoff return for a TD. He also had 4 punt returns for TDs in his career.